Recently I had to transfer emails from a client’s G Suite account (which they wanted to close) to their Gmail account. After searching all over the Internet, there was nothing I could find that was a simple solution and that worked.
After much testing, trial and error, a way was finally found to transfer G Suite emails to Gmail! Here’s how…
Transferring G Suite Emails to Gmail:
- Download Microsoft Outlook
- Add your G Suite account to Microsoft Outlook (select ‘Google’ when it asks you what type of email account you are creating)
- Add your Gmail account to Microsoft Outlook (again, select ‘Google’ when it asks you what type of email account you are creating)
- Once you can see both email accounts within Outlook, simply highlight the emails in your G Suite account, and drag them over to the relevant folder (label) in your Gmail account.
And that’s all you need to do!
Fyi, this strategy was tried with other email clients, like Thunderbird and Mailspring, but neither worked. This strategy only worked with Microsoft Outlook’s email client.
Configuring Your Gmail Account To Send/Receive From Your G Suite Email Address
Once you’ve transferred your G Suite emails to your Gmail account, you might want to set up your Gmail account so that you can send/receive emails from the email account you used to access through G Suite.
This can be done. Here’s how:
- Go into your web hosting account (Cpanel in most cases), and open up Zone Editor
- Delete the following MX records:
- Check that an MX record exists for your domain, and make sure the priority is set to ‘0’. If that MX record doesn’t exist – create it.
- In Cpanel still, go to Email Accounts and create an email account for email address you used to have on G Suite.
- Now, in your Gmail account, go to Settings > Accounts and Import
- Scroll down to the ‘Check mail from other accounts’ section and click on ‘Add a mail account’
- Follow the prompts to add your email account
Once you’ve successful added your email account into Gmail, you will be able to send and receive emails from that email account within Gmail!