The WordPress backup plugin that I use and highly recommend is WP-DB-Backup.
It’s so important that you backup your WordPress database, especially if you have a lot of content on your site. Also, if you’re going to update your version of WordPress to the latest one, it is highly recommended that you backup your site first.
Here’s how I recommend you use the WP-DB-Backup WordPress backup plugin…
- Log in to your site’s WordPress dashboard
- Go to the Plugin section and click on ‘Add New‘
- When the ‘Install Plugins’ page appears, go to the Search area and type in wp-db-backup in the field provided then click on the ‘Search Plugins‘ button
- From the list of results, locate ‘WP-DB-Backup‘ (it should be the first result) and click on ‘Install Now‘
- When the WP-DB-Backup plugin has finished installing, click on ‘Activate Plugin‘
Well done! You’ve successfully installed the WP-DB-Backup WordPress backup plugin.
Your First WordPress Database Backup
Now that you’ve successfully installed WP-DB-Backup, you can create a backup straight away. To do this, from your WordPress dashboard locate the ‘Tools‘ section, in the left-hand menu, and then ‘Backup‘.
This will open the WP-DB-Backup configuration page.
In the ‘Table‘ section, you have the option of excluding spam comments and post revisions from your backup. I recommend that you select both these options unless you have a specific need for them.
To perform a backup right away, in the ‘Backup Options‘ section, select ‘Email backup to‘, enter your email address and click on the ‘Backup Now!‘ button.
Once your backup has been completed, you’ll receive an email with the backup file attached.
Scheduled WordPress Backups
It’s best practice to set up scheduled, automated backups. The WP-DB-Backup WordPress backup plugin makes this easy to do.
- Go to the ‘Scheduled Backup‘ section and select the desired frequency of your backups. I like to have mine performed weekly
- In the ‘Email backup to‘ field, enter your email address
- Click on the ‘Schedule Backup‘ button
That’s it! You’ve successfully scheduled an automatic backup of your WordPress database that will be emailed to you.
If you’ve found this information helpful, please leave a comment below. Thanks!