While Facebook allows you to create your own personalized “group” space between family and friends, you may want to create a “group within a group” for specific topics that only specific persons would be interested in or that you want to keep private among specific persons. Facebook Groups is perfect for this.
Facebook Groups is constantly changing. This article will show you how to make a group on Facebook based on the latest and most up-to-date information.
Here’s how to make a group on Facebook, step-by-step:
- Login to your Facebook account and then type the following url into your web browser: http://www.facebook.com/groups
- You will be taken to the Facebook Groups creation homepage. Select the green ‘Create Groups’ button.
- A ‘Create Group’ window will open up.
- You have the option of selecting the icon that would best represent your group. To do this click on the drop-down arrow next to the default icon and pick the one you like.
- Type in your facebook group name. It’s best to select a name that clearly defines what your group is all about, e.g. John’s Adswap Group.
- Add members to your group if you like or leave it blank. As you begin typing a name, an auto-populate feature will bring up your friends names for you to select from.
- The default Privacy option is ‘Closed’ meaning that others not in the group can see which people are members of the group but not any of the content. This is the most commonly used option. The other two options are Secret and Open. Secret is the most restrictive; people not in the group cannot see the content nor which persons are members. Open allows anyone to see the group’s content and those who are members.
- When you’re ready, click on ‘Create’ to finish setting up your new Facebook group.
Congratulations you’ve just made your own Facebook group! You can now begin to invite more people and add content and features to your new group.